The CX Opportunity for Travel and Hospitality
VP, Consulting | Travel and Hospitality Lead
OZ | Digital Consulting Wizards
Recent reports have shown that 86% of customers are willing to pay more for better customer experience (CX). It is important to consider the flip side of this too, consumers are very likely to begin doing business with a competitor following a poor customer experience. Customer
experience is quickly becoming the number one brand differentiator. This is good news for the travel and hospitality industry where the possibilities to offer upgrades and memorable experiences are exciting and nearly endless.
In previous blog posts we outlined in detail different customer experiences cruise goers are expecting during their trip, basically the bigger and more technology-driven, the better. Today, we’d like to share some customer experiences that can set airlines and resorts apart from their competition. Again, digital innovation is key for keeping travelers happy and providing them with experiences that will be talked about for a long time.
There are several Points of View to consider for travelers, whether they are cruising, flying or staying at a resort. Let’s look at some ways brands can enhance CX through digital innovation during these POVs while flying and staying at resorts.
It is fair to say that most airlines have struggled to deliver positive CX to their passengers. Whether it’s losing luggage or poor in-flight connectivity, we’ve all been there, right? Flying is usually a non-personalized event, you are just part of the herd trying to get from point A to B. However, digital innovation is definitely “taking off” for airlines and is changing the way passengers feel about flying. Here are a few examples of how airlines are using digital innovation to provide customer experience:
● Smartphone app that allows you to track baggage throughout its journey
● Translation technology for multilingual passengers used directly through earbuds
● AI used to create an intelligent voice assistant to help deliver a more personal experience for customers when checking in and tagging luggage.
The opportunity to provide superior customer experiences at the top resort destinations are endless. Augmented and Virtual Reality applications are giving guests glimpses into excursions and day trips to try, and technologies like the Internet of Things (IoT) are making smart rooms a reality. Through the use of apps, lights can be turned on and off, the room AC turned on at just the right time and drinks re-ordered from the mini-fridge instantaneously.
In addition, here are some innovative ways we are seeing technology being used to provide excellent customer experiences at hotels and resorts:
● Live chat bots being used on hotel booking websites to make registration and booking easier and faster for customers.
● Hotel TVs now enable dinner and lunch bookings, restaurant recommendations, and the ability to communicate with the hotel staff with a touch of a button or voice commands.
● Augmented reality applications to give guests extra information about experiences they may be interested in trying while on vacation. Implementing new technologies in order to enhance CX can be intimidating, but with the right technology consultant and partner, it doesn’t have to be. Here at OZ, we are experts in digital innovation, and using design thinking we work with our clients in the travel and hospitality
industry to accelerate digital innovation. Let us know what we can help you imagine.