As low-code and no-code platforms continue to evolve, tech leaders are witnessing a paradigm shift in software development: These innovative tools are empowering businesses to accelerate digital transformation by enabling rapid application development with minimal coding expertise.
From accelerated adoption rates to the explosion of popular low-code/no-code tools in the market, your guide to the vital, burgeoning world of this democratizing application trend is below.
What is Behind the Rapid Growth of Low-Code and No-Code Platforms?
Gartner anticipates that more than fifty percent of mid- to large-size organizations will soon implement low- and no-code technologies.
This rapid rise can in part be attributed to the COVID-19 pandemic, which accelerated adoption rates: Businesses were forced to adapt quickly in response to changing work environments and customer needs—and these tools enabled companies to rapidly develop applications without relying on traditional coding methods or hiring additional developers, allowing them to stay agile during uncertain times.
But the trend is set to outlive the pandemic: Gartner projects spending on hyperautomation-enabling software—i.e., a combination of machine learning (ML), packaged software, and automation tools aimed at delivering better work processes—will reach $720 billion in 2023, up from just under a half-trillion dollars back in 2018.
Popular Low-Code and No-Code Tools in the Market
The demand for low-code and no-code platforms has led to a surge in available tools, each catering to different industries and use cases. This section will explore some of the most sought-after tools in the low-code/no-code space that are making waves today.
- Microsoft PowerApps & Power Automate Platform. PowerApps is Microsoft’s entry into the low-code/no-code space, enabling users to create custom business applications without writing any code. With its intuitive user interface and the capability to link up with other Microsoft programs like Office 365 and Dynamics 365, PowerApps makes creating applications much simpler. Power Automate, formerly known as Microsoft Flow, complements PowerApps by providing a platform for automating workflows across various services and applications.
- Appian Comprehensive Low-Code Solution. Appian offers an end-to-end low-code solution designed for businesses looking to build powerful enterprise-grade applications quickly. Its visual design capabilities combined with robust process automation features make it an ideal choice for organizations seeking rapid application development while maintaining high standards of security and scalability.
- OutSystems High-Productivity App Development Tool. A leader in the low-code/no-code arena, OutSystems provides a high-productivity platform that allows developers to create web or mobile apps at lightning speed without compromising on quality or performance. The OutSystems platform boasts strong integration capabilities and a rich set of pre-built templates and components, making it a popular choice for businesses across various industries.
- Nintex Workflow Automation Suite. Nintex is known for its powerful workflow automation suite that enables users to design, automate, and optimize business processes with ease. Its intuitive drag-and-drop interface combined with an extensive library of connectors makes it simple to integrate Nintex into existing systems and applications.
- Quickbase Flexible Business Applications Builder. Quickbase is a versatile low-code/no-code platform that allows users to build custom business applications tailored to their unique needs. Quickbase’s user-friendly interface and extensive customizability have made it a popular choice for companies aiming to simplify operations and enhance efficiency via automation.
In the ever-evolving world of technology, these low-code/no-code tools are revolutionizing the way businesses develop applications by empowering non-expert programmers within their organizations. By choosing the right tool based on your specific requirements, you can significantly accelerate application development while maintaining high standards in terms of quality and performance.
Democratizing Application Development with Citizen Developers
The rise of low-code and no-code platforms has led to the emergence of a new breed of developers within organizations, known as citizen developers.
These individuals may not have extensive programming expertise but are empowered by these platforms to contribute towards process automation efforts.
The democratization of application development through citizen developers is revolutionizing the way businesses approach software development in several ways:
- Bridging talent gaps: With a growing shortage of professional coders, citizen developers leverage their domain knowledge and use low-code/no-code tools to create custom applications tailored to their respective businesses’ needs. This enables companies to fill those positions more efficiently than ever before.
- Saving time and money: By empowering non-expert programmers, organizations can save significant amounts on hiring additional software developers while also reducing the time it takes from start to finish for developing applications. Low code/no code solutions provide flexibility without sacrificing quality or functionality compared to extensively coded, custom-built applications fitting like gloves around their respective businesses’ needs which ultimately saves money too since they don’t need to hire additional software developers either. This, in turn, helps bridge talent gaps left behind by a shortage of professional coders but also enables companies to fill those positions more efficiently than ever before.
- Fostering innovation: When employees across different departments can contribute ideas and develop solutions using low-code/no-code platforms, it fosters an environment that encourages creativity and collaboration among team members. As a result, innovative ideas are brought forward faster, leading to improved products or services that cater better to customer demands.
To successfully implement low code/no code strategies within your organization, consider providing training resources such as online courses, webinars, and workshops to help your employees become proficient in using these platforms. Additionally, establish a governance framework that outlines the roles and responsibilities of citizen developers while ensuring compliance with IT policies and industry regulations.
Incorporating low-code/no-code platforms into your organization’s software development strategy can lead to increased efficiency, cost savings, and innovation by empowering citizen developers. By providing the necessary resources for training and establishing a clear governance structure, businesses can harness the full potential of this rapidly growing trend.
The rise of low-code and no-code platforms is revolutionizing the way applications are built. As these technologies progress, they will become more available to developers, businesses, and organizations. Understanding the latest trends in low-code/no-code platforms can help you make informed decisions when selecting a platform for your application development needs. Armed with this comprehension, you’ll be able to capitalize on the power of these robust tools and generate impressive applications effortlessly.
Ready to get started on your own digital transformation journey? OZ can help.